Last November Vicky began the job of getting filmmakers who made it in to Phase 2 to send their films – raw footage, sound, projects, VFX, renders, exports – the who shebang.
And so now the job REALLY starts.
Here are some of the things we are now contending with as we conform everything into a single project…
- Drives… Mac and PC formats, though this is pretty simple.
- Frame rates… 23.97, 24, 25 and 30… So far nothing interlaced thank goodness
- Formats… Everything from highly compressed iPhone footage to RAW 4k and everything inbetween
- Project source… Avid, Premiere, Lightworks, DaVinci… As a rule of thumb, nothing is compatible
- Missing stuff… Filmmakers who thought they had prepped theor pejoect but didn’t follow instructions
- Customs… Drives stuck in customs and we need to pay import duty
So the workflow for now looks like this…
- We get the drive and quickly check its what we need.
- We then make a copy of the drive into out unlimted Google Drive as a backup.
- We will then begins importing, transcoding, exporting, screaming, throwing toys out of prams… as we conform EVERYTHING into a 23.07 HD Avid Project.
This is likely to take several months of unpicking. Wish us luck! Better, buy Giovani and Vicky a drink when you see them next!
OK onwards and upwards!