'School's Out' by Schooldays Films

School's Out follows the staff and pupils at St. Mark's (a fictional secondary school) as news of the impact breaks within a normal school day.

Producer James Skinner works as Media Coordinator at a school in London, supporting pupils to make short films in collaboration with pupils from another local school. He enlisted the help of writer Ben Marshall, who he worked with on another Impact50 film last year (Rock. Paper. Scissors.) to write a script for Phase 2.

The majority the film was shot over 4 days in the half term break (October 2019),with additional scenes filmed during after school clubs. The film involved over 60 pupils and 7 staff from the two schools, who worked alongside professional actors. It was directed by Year 9 and Year 11 pupils Eleanor, Natacha, Hilla and Rudi.

Stills from the shoots

Have your say on this edit in the comments below

Write a comment

Comments: 11
  • #1

Lee Crompton (Tuesday, 28 May 2019 17:26)

This is a fantastic collaboration and feels very realistic with the normality of the school day thrown into chaos. Loved the sub-stories. Pupils, teachers and all involved should feel very proud.

• #2

Dee Chilton (Tuesday, 28 May 2019 17:40)

What an amazing short film. Huge achievement and fabulous production values. Congratulations to all involved. An absolute credit to all of you. Really enjoyed it.

• #3

Michael van Koetsveld (Wednesday, 29 May 2019 02:15)

This team have put together a beautifully crafted, well paced, thought-provoking short film that will be well received wherever it is shown, and I hope it gets chosen for the feature.

My only gripe?

I can't see how all this came from a two page script, but if love to read it.

• #4

Ben marshall (Wednesday, 29 May 2019)

It was an absolute pleasure to work with James and the school to create the script and see this film develop. I feel very lucky to have been involved and proud of the outcome for James the students and staff. I love the natural feel to the film and credit to those acting as certain lines of dialogue were improvised to really depict students in their day to day environment.

Michael - you are of course right this is not a 2 page script. However, each story line (about 5 I think) was created as a 2 page script (approx and some less) and each in many ways was a stand alone school based story. There was then a master script where they were all spliced together and with added scenes (like running down stairs). I was not involved with the shoot but I understand different teams of students worked on the different scripts all overseen by James. I guess it would have been possible to submit individual shorter films but the plan was to build a longer film with the shorter storylines working together...just wish I had gone to a school with a film club!

• #5

Sally Womersley (Wednesday, 29 May 2019 19:31)

Fantastic film. So believable! I was riveted from beginning to end. Well done to all involved. You should be extremely proud of yourselves.

• #6

Stephanie Ginger (Thursday, 30 May 2019 13:17)

What a fabulous achievement and terrific production values! I too was riveted from start to finish. Congratulations to everyone involved.

• #7

Mrs K M Davies (Friday, 31 May 2019 12:11)

I was riveted from start to finish. What a brilliant film. Thoroughly enjoyed it and huge congratulations to everyone involved!

• #8

Paul (Sunday, 02 June 2019 16:53)

This is a bold production, and there’s a lot to be commended. I liked the Altman-esque various story threads, and most of the kids’ acting is believable.

However, it is very long. At 11 minutes, you’re asking for it to take up about 1/9th of the final film, which is a large chunk. And I don’t think it’s strong enough to command that, either in story or production value. The sound is a big issue which needs attention.

I feel like you can cut quite a lot and not lose too much of the feel. I reckon you could cut the prospectus-style intro speech as it doesn’t really add much. And a few shots of classrooms, etc. The main thing that stands out for me is the bald guy, who’s trying far too hard at the ‘Private school teacher’ thing, and it jars. (It also majorly bugs me that “Hitler’s rise to power” doesn’t have an apostrophe, which is ironic for a school.) If I were asked to do a 5-6 minute edit, then I would start with his scenes.

P.

• #9

Karelia (Monday, 03 June 2019 08:38)

Great film. I wasn't sure if there was going to be a creepy end but the way it finished worked well. Good job!

• #10

David (Monday, 10 June 2019 02:44)

I found it gripping and tense. Didn’t think it was in need of an edit for length. Good luck to all.

• #11

Tasbir Malle (Monday, 10 June 2019 18:24)

Really liked this and each of the individual characters with their stories. Well done to you all, fantastic job